Many SEO experts experienced the sleepless night and many woke up flabbergasted on the morning, when on 1 August 2018 they witnessed a sudden drop in their website traffic. All the experts were left startled when an unforeseen drop in ranking on SERP’s was observed.
Was this update made by Google really unforeseen? Those who understand Google and are able to extract the real meaning hidden behind their implicit statements would not have witnessed a sudden setback, instead, their hard-work would have paved the way to top results on search engine.
As soon as people noticed the change in their ranking, they started gathering on various SEO communities like Webmaster World to gain the insight into the update.
Let’s try to read the mind of Google
Those claiming Google’s recent move to be unforeseen have forgotten that ‘Google is a teacher who tries to provide you with hints on important questions that could appear in surprise test anytime. Still, those who fail to prepare those questions, fall badly.’
Yes, Google came up with announcements from time-to-time and those who took it seriously, they gained from this update and the others are complaining about their unexpected drop.
Let’s have a look at how Google guides people periodically and implicitly before any major step.
November 04, 2016
On November 04, 2016, Google raised a concern regarding the ranking of a website just based on the desktop version of a page’s content. Google explained that people are using mobile as a platform to search on Google. However, the experience of users on the mobile is not up to the mark.
“From this message, Google gave the warning to all the SEO experts to concentrate on their mobile pages too apart from just desktop pages.”
March 26, 2018
After its incessant hints, Google finally came up with an announcement rolling out mobile-first indexing. Google quoted that they have started migrating sites that follow the best practices for mobile-first indexing.
“The experts who took all the Google’s hints seriously would have definitely gained fruitful results from this particular announcement of Google.”
March 12, 2018
Google tweeted on March 12, 2018, to give a clear-cut hint that they are coming up with something big very soon. Google in its tweet mentioned that Google comes up with time-to-time changes in their algorithm to improve the results.
“Sagacious experts would have extracted the deep meaning hidden behind this tweet and would have started to focus on the quality of content and information available on their website.”
August 1, 2018
On August 1, 2018, Google finally cleared all the ambiguities floating in the mind of people with their tweet mentioning the release of Broad Core Algorithm update. With their tweet was attached another tweet from March 2018 reminding all the people that Google provided with hints to improve.
“Those who grabbed the hint achieved miracles through Google’s recent update.”
What is Google Broad Core Algorithm Update?
You may be aware of the fact that Google updates its algorithm every day (Sometimes twice a day), but Google Broad Core Algorithm update is different from Google’s regular updates.
- Instead of minor modifications to how the search engine works, a Broad Core Algorithm Update happens only a few times each year.
- Instead of just targeting a specific issue, the impact of Broad Core Algorithm Update is far more ranging and fundamental.
- A specific change in the algorithm can be embraced by taking a corrective action to recover from a drop in ranking. However, a Broad Core Algorithm Update provides with no such opportunity.
Note- The Broad Core Algorithm Update is focused on providing better, more relevant search results for users. There is nothing ‘wrong’ with your SEO or website, simply which Google is now looking at you differently. There is no “fix” to recover from lost ranking positions.
So, is there anything we can do to be in good books of Google’s update?
Based on the Google’s suggestion, it is advised to take each and every announcement and tweet of Google seriously. For now, you can focus on the following parameters and to get the detailed information consider this quality raters guidelines to revive your position on Google Search Engine.
- User Intent- There are more than 200 search ranking factors, but the most important one is: User Experience. You have to make sure that a landing page fits the search intent of your audience. If you want to retain the top of major search engine rankings and make your brand noticeable online, you’ve got to understand your users.
- Analyse the competitors- If your high-ranking pages lost their position, be calm and just compare it with the site that has replaced your position. Look for the parameters that need to be improved.
- Quality Content- Google has shifted its focus from keyword centric results to topic-based Hence, do a thorough research and add a pinch of creativity to come up with a content that will enforce Google to promote your page.
- Clean and Structured Architecture- Simple design is easier for Google to understand. Google will find comfortable and easy to crawl a website or webpage with a simple structure and a defined hierarchy. This will eventually lead to a higher
Google is smart and will keep on changing rules frequently. It will make sure to inform you in prior to such changes but being an SEO expert, it is highly advisable to keep a hawk-eye and understand all the Google’s update thoroughly and keep changing with modified rules of Google because ‘Change is Inevitable.’